I keep a running list on my smartphone called “Go-To Dinner Ideas.” It features meals that are both easy to make and sure to please, and I reference it often when making my grocery list for the upcoming two weeks (since we’re trying to save money by making fewer trips to the grocery store).
The list features staples like tacos and pasta, plus some of our personal favorites like tuna melts and stir fries.
It also includes these three delicious letters: B-F-D.
Breakfast For Dinner.
At least twice a month we have breakfast for dinner in some form or another—maybe an egg casserole with veggies or (my toddler’s personal favorite) pancakes with fresh fruit.
Last week we went with this Blueberry Coconut Baked Oatmeal, which totally hit the spot!
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 cups blueberries, divided
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch each ground nutmeg, cloves, and salt
- 2 cups milk (skim works fine)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp margarine or butter, melted & cooled
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat an 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the banana slices over the bottom of the dish. Top with 1 cup blueberries, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, coconut flakes, remaining blueberries, brown sugar, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Pour the oat mixture on top of the bananas and blueberries. Pour the milk mixture over the oat mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top layer is lightly browned and crisp. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.