The moment you learn whether your baby is a little boy or a little girl is certainly an exciting one! And for those of us who choose to discover that information before baby’s big arrival, it’s one of the most highly anticipated times of pregnancy.
Another big part of the fun? Sharing the news with friends and family!
Before my son was born, we threw a little gathering featuring the popular gender reveal cupcakes. So this time around, we wanted to do something different—not to mention something cheaper.
So when I stumbled upon this Hershey Bar baby gender reveal idea, I was thrilled! It’s both inexpensive and easy to put together.
(Note: Technically you’re not revealing the gender of your baby; you’re revealing its sex. Here’s a good explanation of the difference between sex and gender. But there’s something about a “Baby Sex Reveal” that doesn’t sound quite right, so I’m sticking with gender for the purposes of this post.)
Cheap & Easy Baby Gender Reveal Idea: Gender Reveal Hershey Bars
What You Need:
- Hershey Bars (we used full-size 1.55oz bars)
- Pink or blue permanent marker (brighter shades work better)
- Paper for candy covers (I made my own design using PicMonkey—printable is included below—but you could always handwrite your own too!)
What To Do:
- Use the permanent marker to color in the letters on the Hershey bar wrapper revealing the sex of your baby—he or she.
- Wrap your candy bars in your covers, securing them with tape. Be sure to tape them loosely enough that they can be easily removed without ripping the candy bar wrapper itself.
- When it’s time for the big reveal, hand them out to your friends and family and have them remove their covers at the same time. Then celebrate with the chocolate!
Obviously we revealed that a baby girl will be joining our family!
I also made and printed a couple of these Old Wives Tales images showcasing what sex the baby would be based on these myths. (A great idea I originally saw on Working On Working Mom.) It made for fun conversation!
Here’s a printable you can use as a cover for your candy bars. These are made to fit a full-size 1.55oz Hershey bar. Just be sure to print at 100% scale.