© Carolyn Franks/Dollar Photo Club
First, let me say this: I hate cleaning. Despise it, really. If you told me to go vacuum my entire house right now, I’d probably throw a tantrum to rival my toddler’s.
The problem, however, is that I equally despise a messy house. I feel like I can’t think straight when I’m surrounded by clutter.
Cleaning: Hate to do it, equally hate when it doesn’t get done.
I’ve discovered that one of the reasons I hate cleaning so much is that it always feels like such a monumental task.
Sweep the floors? There goes my whole afternoon! Dust the bookshelf? It will take all of nap time! And under no circumstances am I willing to sacrifice all of nap time.
But of course that’s not really true. There are actually tons of cleaning tasks that can be completed in under 5 minutes. I can think of 15, to be exact. Some only take a matter of seconds.
Speed Cleaning: 15 Cleaning Tasks That Take Under 5 Minutes
1. Load or unload the dishwasher.
2. Wipe down countertops, stove, and table.
3. Clean microwave, inside and out.
4. Clear out and wipe down sink.
5. Take out the trash.
6. Sort through the stack of mail.
7. Tidy up the sofa (arrange pillows, fold throw blankets).
8. Clear any clutter (books, magazines, or the sea of Mega Bloks, in my case).
9. Put away a load of laundry.
10. Make the bed.
11. De-clutter (clothes on the floor, jewelry on the dresser, glass of water on the nightstand).
12. Clean spots off the mirror.
13. Wipe out the sink.
14. De-clutter sink area (contact solution, hair ties, random mascara tube).
15. Empty wastebasket.
Waiting for your kids to come downstairs for breakfast? Do one of these. Got an extra fifteen minutes after dinner? Pick three. Sure, it won’t make your house rival Martha Stewart’s or anything, but you’ll probably feel a little more sane.