Truth is, my genius husband came up with this one. Here he is with our 18-month-old daughter back when she turned 1.
I’m hesitant to call her a toddler because I so desperately want her to still be a baby.
But when she tears through the house like a tornado, begs for what she wants with two-word phrases, and paints murals on the walls with her food, I am reminded that, yes, she’s definitely a toddler.
In true toddler spirit, my daughter is far more interested in things that are NOT toys than in things that are. So my husband suggested that instead of dropping mega bucks this Christmas on boring old toys, let’s just get her what she really wants.
And that’s when this incredible toddler gift idea was born.
I’m calling it a “Go to Town Box” because when she opens it I’ll say, “There you go! Go to town!”
As you can see, the Go to Town Box features a plethora of household items that toddlers love to get into, often inconveniently so.
Our Go to Town Box includes:
- Toilet paper to spin around and around and around until it’s all off the roll.
- Paper towels to rip to shreds.
- Tissues to pull out of the box—over and over!
- Cotton balls to throw around like confetti.
- Painters tape to use like stickers (without ruining my walls!)
- Plastic cups for stacking.
- Paper plates for wearing like hats.
- Popsicle sticks to use like drumsticks.
- Tupperware containers to fill with random items and/or practice removing and replacing the lids.
- A spatula for pretend kitchen play.
- And, of course, the box itself! For toddlers, the packaging and wrapping paper are definitely part of the gift.
Since we already had all of these essentials in our house, the grand total = $0.00.
But really, my true gift to my toddler is that she gets to play with this stuff with little to no interference from me. Mommy won’t be saying, “No, no, sweetheart, we don’t pull all the toilet paper off the roll,” or “Please only take 1 tissue, babe.”
Instead, she can just go to town.
And that, my friends, is always priceless.
Want to make a Go to Town Box for your toddler, but you’re running low on your household essentials? Order a few!
UPDATE: Both of my kids ended up LOVING this so much!